The Lord of the Rings: Shadow of the East
Ancient Elvish province of the kingdom of Arnor. Siragalë is losing its Silvan Elvish (the Sirannim) population throughout the Third Age, leaving room in 1601 for Hobbit settlement and the founding of the Shire. The part of Siragalë not inhabited by Hobbits in the later Third Age is called by them the “Old Elven Woods” or Old Siragh", a corruption of the Sindarin phrase “Taur Siraglar Iaur”.
This is a Nandorin region, now a part of Arthedain, formally (in Elvish eyes) under the rule of Ellindiel. It extends from the Baranduin to the Aerossîr and the Harered Luin. The Shire is carved out of the northeastern portion.
The transfer of this territory to the authority of Arnor took place in mortal eyes as a result of the promise of oathkinship that the House of Elendil gave to Merethorn whilst they travelled to Mordor in the Last Alliance. Bereft of warriors, Ellindiel, his widow, placed herself and her people under the protection of Isildur by invoking this formal bond. Later generations of the Dúnedain mistakenly assumed the region was simply ceded as a feudal fief, a misunderstanding of Eldarin law.
Several Nandorin lords serve Ellindiel: Súlor of the Green Hills, Halatir of Harvaneth, Gwendir and Niniel of the Tower Hills, and Nimien of the Luithen river.